You Must Do the Things You Think You Cannot Do
– Eleanor Roosevelt
Our thoughts shape our actions, and our actions shape our destiny. Negative thinking affects our reality, our life, and our level of success, limiting our potential.
When we are afraid of something, the first things we impulsively tell ourselves is “I can’t deal with that,” “Maybe I’m not ready to deal with it,” “I think I’m not good enough to face this.” And what happens? Well, it’s pretty simple: it happens that we don’t even try to overcome our fear. What happens here is that we think we cannot do something, and this thought prevents us from taking action. We lose plenty of opportunities when we live our daily life with this mindset.
What to do
The first step we should take instead, is to face the obstacle immediately. The obstacle in this case is our negative thought. And how do we face a negative thought? There are two options:
- replacing it with a positive thought immediately, and take action;
- ignoring it, improvising something and behaving as if we actually have control.
Whatever the choice is, we have to push ourselves out of our comfort zone. So, which are the steps to do that?
Steps to get out of our comfort zone:
- Ignore or replace any negative thoughts: This first step is the easiest one. We just have to stop letting negative thoughts and feelings take over, and switch immediately to the second step, which is…
- Take action: It’s important to take the first step. This can be any small step, like building a simple and small habit.
- You did it! Before we even realize it, we did something we thought we couldn’t do. And this is actually a first step to build a healthy self-confidence, that will help us step out of our comfort zone in the future.
Actually, doing what we think we cannot do, is the key to real growth. Leaving our comfort zone and pushing ourselves beyond our limits, is the key to improvement. Normally, people think that progress means living the life they are supposed to live, going from being a child to being a teenager, from being an adult to retiring, and the majority of people live this way. People do not even ask themselves if they can do more, if they can live a better life or if they can be happier.
Real growth is not about being how we are supposed to be; it is not about being as others want us to be. Real personal growth is unleashing our potential and going beyond our limits. It means thinking outside the box, always, looking at ourselves from unusual perspectives.
The only way to unleash our potential is to stop overthinking, and take action; the first step is the simplest one, but also the hardest one. And it’s worth a try: once we take that step, we surprise ourselves with how far we can go, and how much we can achieve, despite all the people who told us that we couldn’t because it was “impossible.”
Remember: IMPOSSIBLE = I’M POSSIBLE 🙂